INTENSIVE CARE

Degree course: 
Corso di Long single cycle degree (6 years) in Medicine and Surgery
Academyc year when starting the degree: 
2014/2015
Year: 
6
Academyc year when helding the course: 
2019/2020
Course type: 
Compulsory subjects, characteristic of the class
Credits: 
1
Period: 
First Semester
Standard lectures hours: 
8
Detail of lecture’s hours: 
Lesson (8 hours)
Requirements: 

The same prerequisites of the Medical School VI year are requested.

-Testing is an oral test with 2 main questions for the Integrated Course. Questions to be answered within 30 minutes are inherent in lesson plans and in-depth tutorials, and allow for 75% of cases to assess the level of knowledge of the topics and for the remaining 25% the ability to connect different aspects of care handled during theoretical lessons and practical exercises. The final vote, expressed in thirty, will depend on the arithmetic sum of the points obtained with each integrated course.

Assessment: 
Voto Finale

Students should acquire behaviour principles pertinent to them for emergency operations, according to international medical and surgical guidelines, purposed to know to recognize, to monitor and to treat situations at risk of life: 1. Be able to do diagnosis of sepsis, metabolic acidosis, acute poisoning, post-trauma coagulopathy, multiorgan failures; 2. Be able to approach multiple trauma, shock, acute respiratory failure, abdominal hypertension, intracranial hypertension; 3. Be able to apply oxygen therapy and non-invasive ventilation; 4. Be able to perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation and defibrillation; 5. Be able to perform advanced life support; 6. Be able to manage the health rescue management in case of disaster.

Early warning signals and cognitive aids in emergency (2 hours)
Acid-base equilibrium and arterial gas analysis interpretation (2 hours)
Acute respiratory failure and Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (2 hours)
Sepsis and septic shock (2 hours)
CPAP and non-invasive ventilation (2 hours)
Primary survey approach for multiple trauma (2 hours)
Acute poisoning (2 hours)
Disaster health planning (2 hours)

Early warning signals and cognitive aids in emergency (2 hours)
Acid-base equilibrium and arterial gas analysis interpretation (2 hours)
Acute respiratory failure and Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (2 hours)
Sepsis and septic shock (2 hours)
CPAP and non-invasive ventilation (2 hours)
Primary survey approach for multiple trauma (2 hours)
Acute poisoning (2 hours)
Disaster health planning (2 hours)

“Urgenze ed emergenze - Istituzioni” Chiaranda M. Piccin Ed- Padova, IV edition 2016; pages 725;
“European Resuscitation Council Guidelines for Resuscitation 2015” Resuscitation 2015, 95:1-80 (section 1); 81-99 (section 2 BLS adult and automated external defibrillation)”

Direct lectures with projection of slides and multimedial tools
Training skill practices on simulator manikins to optimizing performances in first aid and advanced life support scenarios.

Students reception to be agreed by mail appointment at the address: paolo.severgnini@uninsubria.it