microbial biotechnology and biotechnology processes
Basic knowledge of Biochemistry, Fermentation Biotechnologies, Microbiology and Molecular biology. For the lab activities: knowledge of the main techniques of industrial microbiology and fermentation.
• Cognitive skills
- acquisition of fundamental elements concerning fermentation chemistry and industrial microbiology
- acquire the required information (theoretical and experimental) to carry out a microbial biotechnological project
• Learning abilities
- ability to read, understand and critically review a scientific text related to the field (in English)
- ability to use these knowledge to evaluate the aims and/or the results of a fermentation process both on the qualitative and quantitative point of view
• Practical and subject specific skills
- ability to apply the knowledge in the field of microbial biotechnology to an industrial process
- ability to propose a problem-solving approach
• Communication skills
- ability to identify and express relevant information
- demonstrate effective communication skills with the experts using appropriate terminology
- demonstrate the ability to work in group in the lab and in the phase of results elaboration
The course is fundamental to the preparation of a student in Industrial and Molecular Biotechnology. The goal of these lectures is to provide a thorough understanding of the fundamental principles, terminology, methodology, of the processes and of the biotechnology principles to produce drugs (like antibiotics, anticancers, statins and immunosuppressants), bio-oils, bioethanol, biogas, biohydrogen, fine chemicals and plastics manufactured by microbes.
The course is also aimed to provide the most updated knowledge/skills related to molecular and physiological techniques applied to the production of bio-goods and bio-services. Students will learn state-of-the-art techniques in exploitation of microbial chemical diversity for human health, environment protection and renewable sources.
The course is based on theoretical lessons and experimental lab activities.
Slides of lessons: from the Elearning website
- B.R.Glock and J.J.Pasternak, Biotecnologia molecolare, Zanichelli
- G.Lancini and R. Lorenzetti, Biotechnology of antibiotics and other bioactive microbial metabolites, Plenum Press
- Flavia Marinelli and Olga Genilloud, Antimicrobials: New and Old Molecules in the Fight against Multi-resistant Bacteria, Springer
- Antonio Moreira, Volume 3 Industrial Biotechnology and Commodity Products, Comprenhensive Biotechnology, second edition, Elsevier