TOURISM AND TERRITORY ECONOMY

Degree course: 
Corso di First cycle degree in COMMUNICATION SCIENCES
Academic year when starting the degree: 
2019/2020
Year: 
3
Academic year in which the course will be held: 
2021/2022
Course type: 
Compulsory subjects, characteristic of the class
Seat of the course: 
Varese - Università degli Studi dell'Insubria
Language: 
Italian
Credits: 
7
Period: 
Second semester
Standard lectures hours: 
56
Detail of lecture’s hours: 
Lesson (56 hours)
Requirements: 

Good and practical knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite (Excel, Word, Power Point) for data processing, presentation set-up, and writing of brief reports.

For attending students. The exam is divided into two sessions. 40% of the final mark is related to the evaluation (over 30 points) of the presentations. The remaining 60% (again, over 30 points) of the mark is assigned by a written exam (45 minutes) consisting in 20 multiple-choice questions (correct answer: 1,5 points; uncorrected or blank answers: 0 points) on the Moodle platform. The exam will be held in the UNINSUBRIA computer labs (or classrooms).
For not attending (or working) students. A general exam (90 minutes) is available only. The whole mark (over 30 points) is assigned by a written exam consisting in 20 multiple-choice questions (correct answer: 1,5 points; uncorrected or blank answers: 0 points) and 4 open questions (one for each module) on the Moodle platform. The exam will be held in the UNINSUBRIA computer labs (or classrooms).

Assessment: 
Voto Finale

The aim of the course is to present and examine the role of tourism in economic development, especially by considering the impact of touristic systems on local economies. The students are expected to understand the characteristics of tourism destinations and systems, and to identify the strategic drivers of economic growth at a local and regional level.

The course is structured in 4 modules. Each module consists of 10 hours (taught in presence and on-line, using Microsoft Teams) by using teaching materials (slides) uploaded before the lessons on the e-learning page of the course. At the end of each module, the students (in groups of 3 or 4 persons) will give a presentation by using documents or data provided by the teacher (2 hours for each module). Further details on the group works will be disclosed during the course.
In the first module, the course is focused on the fundamentals of the regional economics, with particular attention on the theories of local development and territorial economic growth.
In the second module, the characteristics of tourism economics are presented (i.e., touristic demand and supply, companies’ behaviour, elements of competition, touristic development).
In the third module, the attention is concentrated on the analysis of touristic districts and local touristic systems. A special focus is dedicated to the importance of digital marketing and ICT in the tourism sector.
In the fourth module, the understanding of tourism sectors is expanding by taking into consideration the impact of tourism on sustainability, from an environmental, economic and social point of view.

In the first module, the course is focused on the fundamentals of the regional economics, with particular attention on the theories of local development and territorial economic growth.
In the second module, the characteristics of tourism economics are presented (i.e., touristic demand and supply, companies’ behaviour, elements of competition, touristic development).
In the third module, the attention is concentrated on the analysis of touristic districts and local touristic systems. A special focus is dedicated to the importance of digital marketing and ICT in the tourism sector.
In the fourth module, the understanding of tourism sectors is expanding by taking into consideration the impact of tourism on sustainability, from an environmental, economic and social point of view.

Selected chapters (indicated in the first slide of each lesson) from:
• Candela, G., Figini, P., Economia del turismo e delle destinazioni, McGraw Hill, 2010, 2a ed.
• Capello, R., Economia Regionale, Il Mulino, 2015, 2a ed.

Additional mandatory or optional readings will be uploaded on the e-learning page.

Convenzionale

Classroom-taught lessons, group presentations, guest interventions by experts.

Weekly office hours (on Microsoft Teams or in presence) to be arranged (via e-mail) with the teacher.

Professors