Degree course: 
Academic year when starting the degree: 
Academic year in which the course will be held: 
Course type: 
Supplementary compulsory subjects
Second semester
Standard lectures hours: 
Detail of lecture’s hours: 
Lesson (24 hours)

There are no pre-requisite constraints. However, knowledge of Physics, Inorganic and Organic Chemistry, Elements of Biology are recommended. Understanding of the written English language is intended to be established.

Final written exam. The exam will focus on the topics related to the course program to define the level of learning and the ability to understand the topics. To pass the test, the student must demonstrate adequate theoretical knowledge of the topics

More specifically, a final written test will be carried out for the assessment of learning results. The learning test consists of a written test with 30 multiple choice questions, of which only one is the exact one. The questions are inherent to the program carried out in class and allow for 75% of cases to assess the level of knowledge of the topics and for the remaining 25% the ability to connect different aspects covered during the theoretical lessons and practical exercises. The final mark, expressed in thirtieths (sufficiency = 18/30), will depend on the arithmetic sum of the points obtained with each answer (1 point if it is correct, 0 if incorrect or omitted).
The time set for the test is one hour.

Voto Finale

The course aims to provide the student with basic knowledge of the general principles of hygiene and prevention in the places of life and work, starting from the conceptual framework of risk analysis and the fundamental concepts of prevention, hazard, exposure, susceptibility, risk, damage and protection. The course also aims to briefly illustrate the main categories of risk agents for human health

At the end of the course, the student will be able to:
1. know the basic concepts of safety and prevention as regards the formal and regulatory aspects
2. know the main environmental (chemical, physical and biological) risk agents in the living and working environments
3. know the principles of risk assessment

The topics are:

General concepts [2 hours]
Concepts of risk, damage prevention and protection

Transversal concepts [4 hours]
- Consolidated law on health and safety in the workplace
- Organization of prevention
- Supervisory, control and assistance bodies
- Rights, duties and sanctions for the various corporate subjects
- PPE and work organization
- Signage (safety signs)
- Security procedures

First aid in the workplace [2 hours]

Risk factors (Safety and accident-related risks) [4 hours]
- Workplaces
- Accident risk
- General mechanical risks, machine and equipment risk
- Electrical risk
- Explosions and explosive atmospheres
- Work at height and falls from above
- Manual load handling and goods handling

Risk factors (Chemical and biological risk agents) [8 hours]
- Chemical Agents, Classification and Labeling
- Carcinogenic agents
- Biological agents

Risk factors (physical, ergonomic and transversal risk agents) [4 ore]
- Noise
- Mechanical vibrations
- Radiation
- Electromagnetic fields
- Microclimate and lighting
- Work-related stress "
- Video terminals and incongruous postures

• P.A. Bertazzi, I. Grappasonni. Igiene e Sanità Pubblica. Salute e Ambiente. Piccin Nuova Libreria. 2016.
• Lorenzo Alessio, Giuliano Franco G, Francesco Tomei. Trattato di Medicina del Lavoro. Piccin Nuova Libreria. Volume 2. 2015

Slides of lessons: from the e-learning website
During the course, selected technical papers and other supplementary material will be reported, downloadable from the e-learning site or available in the University libraries. Course handouts in pdf format will also be provided and made available on the e-learning platform

Frontal teaching, with slide support. Case studies and real case images are presented for all topics.
The lectures combine a robust theoretical approach with the discussion of case studies. During the lessons, the teacher constantly encourages interaction with students, through moments of discussion and shared analysis of the issues presented, in order to stimulate and develop the ability of critical analysis and to make interdisciplinary relationships.

The teacher is available to receive students in the classroom before and after the lessons and in his office (DiSAT, Floor -1 “Anello” building in via Valleggio 11, Como), by appointment by request by e-mail (