Prerequisites are those provided by the Bachelor''s degree program. In order to be able to take advantage of the course, the student should have a solid knowledge of physiopathology, clinic and diagnostics of major medical and surgical pathologies and adequate knowledge of the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of the main drugs used in emergency settings.
The course aims to provide the student, with the help of front lessons and exercises on simulator mannequins, knowledge of the most common clinical emergency situations that may threaten the survival of patients, adults or children, both in-hospital and out-of-hospital, and diagnostic-therapeutic algorithms of their management with the most appropriate life-saving procedures and electrical and pharmacological therapy.
The expected learning outcomes in terms of skills are primarily those to acquire decision-making and nursing care capabilities in the most common clinical situations of acute failure of organs and apparatus, and in particular in case of cardiac arrest, cardiovascular insufficiency, respiratory failure, major trauma before and after hospitalization.
The basic contents of lessons (L) and exercises on simulator mannequins (E) are:
1) decision-making in clinical emergency situations (L 2 h);
2) organization of in- and out-of-hospital emergency medical services (L 2 h);
3) pathophysiology of respiratory and cardiocirculatory failure (L 2 h);
4) sudden cardiac death and Basic Life Support with early Defibrillation (L 6 h + E 5 h to obtain accreditation in BLSD of the Regione Lombardia);
5) nursing care in the treatment of: cardiac arrest with Advanced Life Support, threatening arrhythmias, cardiocirculatory and respiratory failure (L 7 h. + E 4 h);
6) nursing care in the treatment of major trauma before and after hospitalization (L 5 h. + E 4 h. of Pre-Hospital Trauma Care);
7) principles of emergency pain therapy (L 2 h);
8) nursing tools and procedures for controlling vital functions in the most common emergency clinical situations (L 4 h).
- M. Chiaranda: Urgenze ed emergenze – Istituzioni. 4a Ed, Piccin, Padova, 2016
- Other material provided by the teacher