METABOLIC ENGINEERING OF PLANTS
- Assessment methods
- Learning objectives
- Delivery method
- Teaching methods
Basic knowledge of plant biology and biotechnology are necessary.
Oral examination aims to evaluate the student level of knowledge and understanding of the topics covered in the course and the ability to discuss the key concepts using an adequate scientific terminology. The evaluation is expressed in thirtieths (minimum rate 18/30).
Upon completion of this course, the students will be able to:
- describe the bio-fortification strategies
- describe the main classes of plant secondary metabolites and their integrated pathways
- understand the processes for plant metabolic engineering
- discuss the opportunity and challenges of the production of vaccines and antibodies in planta.
The following topics will be addressed:
- the primary and secondary plant metabolism;
- the main classes of secondary metabolites of plants
- ecological significance of plant secondary metabolites; their effects on bacteria, insects and human health;
- production of secondary metabolites by plant cell and tissue cultures
- different engineering strategies to improve the content of bioactive secondary compounds with applicable value
- plant biopharming
- Metabolismo e prodotti secondari delle piante. Massimo Maffei- UTET
Slides and scientific papers will be made available through the e-learning site of the course.
The course consists of lectures (48 h). Slide presentations will be used.