HEALTH EMERGENCIES

Degree course: 
Corso di First cycle degree in ENGINEERING FOR WORK AND ENVIRONMENT SAFETY
Academyc year when starting the degree: 
2017/2018
Year: 
2
Academyc year when helding the course: 
2018/2019
Credits: 
6
Period: 
Second semester
Standard lectures hours: 
52
Requirements: 

No pre-requisite constraints are provided.

Final Examination: 
Scritto e Orale Congiunti

MODULE A
Verification of learning consists of a written test with 30 multiple-choice questions, of which only one is the exact one or is the most accurate of the others. Questions to be answered within 60 minutes are inherent in the lesson program and allow for 75% of cases to assess the level of knowledge of the topics and for the remaining 25% the ability to link different aspects treated during theoretical lessons and practical exercises. The final vote, expressed in thirty-eight, will depend on the arithmetic sum of the points obtained with each answer (1 point if it is correct, 0 if incorrect or omitted) and will average with the vote attended in the other module of the integrated course.

MODULE B
Verification of learning consists of a written test with 30 multiple-choice questions, of which only one is the exact one or is the most accurate of the others. Questions to be answered within 60 minutes are inherent in the lesson program and allow for 75% of cases to assess the level of knowledge of the topics and for the remaining 25% the ability to link different aspects treated during theoretical lessons and practical exercises. The final vote, expressed in thirty-eight, will depend on the arithmetic sum of the points obtained with each answer (1 point if it is correct, 0 if incorrect or omitted) and will average with the vote attended in the other module of the integrated course.

Assessment: 
Voto Finale

MODULE A
The course aims to provide the student, with the help of frontal lessons and exercises on simulator mannequins, knowledge about the most common emergency clinical situations that may arise in the workplace and the diagnostic-therapeutic algorithms of their management. The expected learning outcomes in terms of skills are primarily those to acquire decision-making and operational capabilities to ensure that early rescuers support vital functions in the event of major trauma or sudden cardiac arrest, before the arrival of emergency medical systems.

MODULE B
Introduction to the principles of toxicology: study of toxicological interactions of chemical agents, in terms of analysis of potential effects on humans. Introduction to the basic tools for assessing exposure to toxic agents and for assessing the toxicological risk and the impact on human health. Presentation of methodologies for the study of the effects and mechanisms of action deriving from exposure to environmental contaminants and occupational risk agents. At the end of the course the student is expected to have acquired adequate knowledge to be able to assess the toxicological risk deriving from human exposure to environmental contaminants and occupational risk agents, participate in impact assessments, manage any critical issues and communicate toxicological risk information in the most effective way.

MODULE A
The basic contents of lessons (L) and exercises on simulator mannequins (E) are:
1) decision-making in clinical emergency situations (L 2 h);
2) emergency medical systems organization (L 2 h.);
3) pathophysiology of respiratory and cardiocirculatory failure (L 2 h);
4) tools to support vital functions in the most common emergency situations (L 2 h).
5) principles of first aid in case of major trauma (L 8 h.);
6) sudden cardiac death and Basic Life Support with early Defibrillation (L 8 h. + 5 h with accreditation in BLSD by the Regione Lombardia).

MODULE B
The basic contents of lessons (L) are:
1) Chemical risk assessment and derivation of occupational and environmental (health based) limit values [6 hours]
2) Definition of hazard, risk, accident, occupational disease, work-associated illness [4 hours]
3) Toxicology in Industrial Processes (Metals, Gases, Solvents, etc.) [4 hours]
4) REACH, CLP and GHS regulations. Chemical Safety Assessment, Chemical Safety Report, Exposure Scenario, DNEL and DMEL. [4 hours]
5)Environmental impact from industrial emissions: normative references (SIA-VIA, VAS and VIS). Impact on soil, water and air of human activities and - consequent impact on health through the different routes of exposure. [4 hours]
6) Case studies [2 hours]

MODULE A
- M. Chiaranda: Urgenze ed emergenze – Istituzioni. 4a Ed, Piccin, Padova, 2016
- Other material provided by the teacher

MODULO B
- Manuale di Medicina del Lavoro. A cura di F. Tomei et al. Piccin Edizioni, 2018
- Other material provided by the teacher

MODULE A
The course is divided into 24-hour frontal lessons with slides and multimedia tools to help students learn the expected learning outcomes and exercises on simulation mannequins (5 hours with a teacher/students relationship of 1/6) for the accreditation in Basic Life Support and early Defibrillation by the AREU Lombardia Region.

MODULE B
The course is divided into 24-hour frontal lessons with slides presentations to help students learn the expected learning outcomes.

MODULE A
Receiving students by appointment by e-mail to paolo.severgnini@uninsubria.it.

MODULE B
Receiving students by appointment by e-mail to: andrea.spinazze@uninsubria.it.