TUMOR CHEMOPREVENTION AND NUTRACEUTICS
- Assessment methods
- Learning objectives
- Teaching methods
No presequisites are needed.
Oral presentation on assigned topics and written exam on the course topics.
The purpose of this course is to instruct students in the principles of cancer prevention and nutraceutic. The course focuses on concepts, methods, issues and applications related to the field. Students will gain experiences through didactic lectures, critical appraisal of the literature, group discussions and presentations.
- Cancer as a leading cause of death worldwide: costs, statistics, prospective.
- Cancer chemoprevention
- Cancer chemopreventive agents:
1. Hormonal chemopreventive agents (antiestrogens, aromatase inhibitors, anti-androgens)
2. Medications (aspirin and other anti-inflammatory drugs, statins, metformin)
3. Diet related agents (carotenoids, vitamin A and retinoids, folic acid, vitamin D, vitamin E, , calcium, selenium, flavonoids)
4. Vaccines for cancer prevention
- Nutraceuticals: nomenclature, watchful medicine vs proactive medicine.
- Nutraceutical in: metabolic syndrome, hypercholesterolemia, hypertension, type II diabetes, migraine, Parkinson's and Alzeimher's disease, cancer chemoprevention.
Slides and scientific papers are supplied by the lecturer. All material can be find on e-learning platform.
Lectures and discussion of articles on specific topic.