GLOBAL ENTREPRENEURSHIP ECONOMICS AND MANAGEMENT (GEEM)
The master program in Global Entrepreneurship, Economics and Management (GEEM) aims at providing future managers, entrepreneurs and applied economics analysts with strong skills in management, innovation, internationalization and economics.
Globalization and innovation are the dominant traits of the current market scenario. The program provides a unique set of managerial and economics competences and skills that can be applied in SMEs, large and multinational companies of different industries, startups and international and national economics organizations.
During the two-year program students will have frequent in-depth interactions with companies and other organizations, through workshops, laboratories and stages. The course offers opportunity of double degrees and student exchange programs. In particular, the GEEM is characterized by:
- A double degree program with the University of Jena, Germany
- A double degree program with the University of Hohenheim, Germany
- A student exchange with the Indian Institute of Foreign Trade (IIFT), India
GEEM is articulated in two curricula:
- Economics of innovation , focused on applied economics.
- International Business and Entrepreneurship, tailored to management and entrepreneurship
Curriculum: Economics of innovation (EI) – Coordinator Professor Raffaello Seri
The curriculum in Economics of Innovation provides a qualified learning track in applied research topics on Innovation Economics and International Economics.
The program provides advanced knowledge in:
- Industrial economics
- Innovation processes and interaction between firms
- Markets and institutions in a context of increasing international competition
Students in Economics of Innovation are trained to become applied analysts in dynamic innovative business sectors and in local and international institutions and organizations. The skills acquired during the program will enable graduates to meet the challenges of a rapidly changing economic environment from a macroeconomic perspective (economic growth and international integration) with a high level knowledge of microeconomic mechanisms (new technologies, new markets, new customers and suppliers, international business and de-localization).
Curriculum: International Business and Entrepreneurship (IBE) – Coordinator Professor Alberto Onetti
The curriculum in International Business and Entrepreneurship aims at providing students with the managerial tools required by companies operating on the international markets. Globalization, Entrepreneurship and Innovation are key competitive factors for all companies – both SMEs and large and multinational companies – and markets – both mature and innovative. The course provides a unique set of managerial and economics competences and skills that can open to multiple career opportunities (as a manager, consultant as well as entrepreneur).
The program provides advanced knowledge in:
- International business
- Entrepreneurship and startup management
- Business modeling and business planning
- Corporate and venture finance
- Human resources and information systems
- International trade and contract law
Enrolment to the Master Degree Course GEEM is without a selecting entry test.
Students can apply on-line at the webpage of the Students Registrar Office (Segreteria studenti), according to the rules and administrative dead-lines
- Students with an Italian BA belonging to the sections listed in the Manifesto degli Studi can enroll provided they got a minimum final BA mark 85/110. The Coordinators will evaluate the requisites and if it is necessary fix an appointment before the formal enrolment in order to give suggestions about the gaps to be plugged, if any.
- Italian and Eu students with a foreign BA have to be evaluated before the enrolment. They must ask the Diploma Supplement of their BA (if they graduated in an European university) or the Diclaration of Value of their BA and High School certificates (in case the European University can’t issue a Diplome Supplement or if they graduated in an extra-EU university).
- Extra Eu students with a foreign BA can apply according to the rules and administrative dead-lines of the Students Registrar Office. A committee will evaluate their requisites. Extra Eu students need an official admission letter before applying for a VISA for study reasons. International students can be accepted according to the maximum number established by the Dept. of Economics.
Do you think that this course fits you? Enroll and start studying with us!
Enrollment in Italian language is “immatricolazione”.
- Have you got a BA and you would like to continue your studies?
See Immatricolazione a corso ad accesso libero (to be updated)
- Have you got a MSc and you would like to get a second MSc?
See Immatricolazioni a seconde lauree (to be updated)
- Are you a student in another university and you would like to transfer here?
See Immatricolazione per trasferimento da altro Ateneo (to be updated)
- You started your career as a student but you had to stop it?
See Immatricolazione con abbreviazione di carriera (to be updated)
If you would like to have an informal evaluation of your previous academic career, have a look at Valutazione informale della carriera pregressa. (to be updated)
FINAL DISSERTATION: 18 ECTS
The final dissertation of the Master Degree in Global Entrepreneurship, Economics and Management has to be written and discussed in English with an abstract in Italian. It consists in the presentation and defense of a written work under the guide and help of a supervisor chosen by the student.
The dissertation is presented in front of a Faculty Committee composed by at least five lecturers of the Department of Economics. Among them there is the supervisor and an assistant supervisor chosen by the Director of the Department of Economics.
Students can choose their supervisor among the lecturers of the Department, it is recommended to ask to a lecturer whose course is in the study-plan of the single student. The subject must be selected together by the student and the lecturer.
The procedure to apply for the final graduation at the University of Insubria is on line. The application has to be dome within 45 days before the ay of the defense. Students have to hand in to the Students’ Registrar office the declaration of conformity of the Master Thesis and a CDrom with a file of the thesis (pdf).
Students can start from the Homepage www.uninsubria.it, click on “Servizi Web – Segreterie Studenti” and log with the login used to enroll to exams.
The Master Thesis has to be sent to by email to:
-the second supervisor
A paper copy of the Master Thesis must be handed in to the Committee on the day of the Defense.
Admission to the defense
The Supervisor will admit the candidate to the Defense only if he/she:
- has analyzed the topic of the dissertation in an adequate way
-has underlined the links between the main topic and the related economic theories
-has taken into consideration the economic background of the main topic and shown a deep knowledge of the literature about the topic
-has followed the rules while drawing up the Master Thesis
After having written the thesis, the dissertation can be defended in the following months: February, March, June, July, September and November.
The Degree Board decides the final mark according to the opinions of the supervisor and of the assistant supervisor. The final mark ranges from 66/110 to 110/110 and it is calculated by summing:
•grade point average
•0.33 for each “cum laude”
•global judgment about the dissertation and the personal defense of the student
• for the students first enrolled from the a.y. 2015-2016 a bonus of two points is additionally assigned provided they conclude their university career in two years
The evaluation of the dissertation will be done according to the following criteria:
•Negative marks: the dissertation shows many lacks and the Committee agrees that it can’t be improved.
•From 0 to 2 marks: the dissertation is a mere exposition of other texts and has limits and gaps.
•From 3 to 4 marks: the dissertation meets the minimum standards, it shows a limited knowledge of the matter and it tightly concerns the subject.
•5 marks: the content is exposed in a clear and orderly way. The essential bibliography has been consulted and it is inclusive; models and practical investigations are correctly exposed; the construction is coherent
•From 6 to 7 marks: the candidate has deepened not only the main subject but also the related themes. The dissertation reflects the ability of the student to make comparisons and thematic connections, as well as to treat critical and problematic aspects.
•From 8 to 10 marks: the dissertation shows a strong autonomy of judgment, notable critical abilities, a deep analysis of specific aspects, extensive bibliographical knowledge and investigations on the matter. During the defense the candidate shows a deep interest and a strong competence.
The request of a mark over 7 points (with eventually the distinction “cum laude”) has to be communicated by the supervisor to the Director of the Department and to the assistant supervisor at least 15 days before the discussion date of the thesis in a written format and by indicating the most significant parts of the dissertation. It is necessary to name a second assistant supervisor if the starting average point is 102/110.
If the dissertation shows particularly remarkable and original contents, the Committee, with an unanimous deliberation, shall give out the final mark “cum laude”. At the same time the Committee can also deliberate an encomium and award the right to publish the dissertation in scientific journals or similar publications.
Insubria and Jena Double degree students can decide whether to write their dissertation in Jena or in Varese but they have to defend it in Varese in front of a Graduation Committee (a video conference presentation may be organized). The defense is mandatory according to the Italian rules in order to obtain an official Master Degree Diploma. The Graduation Committee in Varese will take into consideration the evaluation of the foreign supervisor of the partner University and will award a mark to both the dissertation and to the defense of the candidate.
Insubria Double degree students must write their dissertation in Hohenheim but they have to defend it in Varese in front of a Graduation Committee.
Hohenheim Double degree students must write and defend their dissertation in Varese in front of a Graduation Committee. Once at home they will hand it to their University.
DD students are invited to communicate in advance (50 days) the date of their discussion to Gabriella Franchi (email@example.com) in order to fill in all the necessary documents.
The next Defenses will take place on the following days:
- September 25th 2017
- November 6th 2017
- February 19th 2018
- March 19th 2018
- July 16th 2018
Admissions a.y. 2018/2019 for Extra EU students
- 100% English
- DD Programs
- International environment
- Exchange programs in emerging countries