Interlibrary loan and document delivery services
Interlibrary services for international users
ILL (interlibrary loan) and DD (document delivery) services allow users to ask for books, book chapters or articles not owned by Insubria University Libraries.
These documents are provided for personal study, research or teaching purposes only in accordance with the libraries’ General Rules and in compliance with Italian Copyright Law.
There may be restrictions in the use of some kind of resources, due to items' preservation reasons or specific license agreements signed by the owning library. Before submitting your request, please be sure the item you are looking for is not owned by a public library in the town of Como or Varese (depending on where your individual university library is).
The library is not responsible for any illegal or unlawful use of bibliographic material requested through ILL or DD services.
Who can ask for ILL and DD services
The internal users listed below are eligible for Interlibrary Services:
- Currently enrolled students
- Faculty members
- University staff
How to submit an ILL or DD request
Before submitting your request, please verify if the item is owned by one of Insubria University libraries, either in print or in electronic format. You can do so by accessing insuB.R.E. and by checking among the available resources.
ILL and DD requests can be submitted through:
- the online forms which can be found in the dedicated pages in insuB.R.E. This service is for eligible users who will have to enter their IDs and passwords to log into insuB.R.E. and submit their requests*
- the paper forms available at the Circulation Desks of Insubria University libraries or by asking library staff. Paper forms must be filled out in all their parts and have to be given to the library staff to be processed
- an e-mail message which has to be sent to your individual university library using one of the addresses listed below:
- Economics Library in Varese: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Law Library in Como: email@example.com
- Science and Medicine Library in Varese: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Science Library in Como: email@example.com
* To set up your personal ID, please refer to the instructions below:
- Insubria University Students: IN0100 + students’ identification number (“numero di matricola”) - 12 digits in all
- University Staff: IN41 + your 6-digit university identification number. If it is shorter than 6 digits, remember to add zeros to the beginning
- Faculty Members: IN21 + your 6-digit university identification number. If it is shorter than 6 digits, remember to add zeros to the beginning
In order to reset your password, you can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or ask library staff.
How to fill out your ILL and DD requests
It is essential that you fill out online or paper forms in all their parts, especially required fields.
If you decide to submit your request by sending an e-mail to your individual library, please be sure you can provide at least:
Your personal details
- Name and Surname
- University identification number
- Phone number
- Author and Title
- Year of publication or number of edition
- ISBN Serial Title
- Author and Title of the Article
- Issue’s year and number
- from page … to page …
Please note that lacking of essential or accurate information may result in the library not being able to fulfill your request. Should you have any doubts, please contact library staff for assistance.
How many requests can be submitted at a time
Internal users can submit as many as 15 ILL or DD requests at a time.
Further requests will be considered as soon as the previous ones are fulfilled.
Where to pick up requested items
The library will send an e-mail notification as soon as the documents requested through ILL or DD services are at the user’s disposal. If you prefer to be notified in other ways, please specify them when submitting your request. ILL and DD items (books or photocopies of articles) have to be picked up by the person who has placed the request or by someone else only if the latter can provide an accompanying note signed by the borrower and the copy of his or her identity card.
ILL loan periods
ILL books are usually lent to be picked up and taken home. Nevertheless, for some reasons (such as to preserve library material, for example), the lending library can ask expressly that the books should be consulted in library rooms only.
ILL loan periods are established by the lending libraries. When the item is due, our library will return it to the owning library even though the user, duly informed, hasn’t examined it.
Users must return ILL materials in the same conditions as they were when borrowed. Otherwise, users will have to replace them with a new copy or refund the lending library its replacing costs.
Cost of ILL and DD services
ILL and DD services are usually free of charge because not owned items, when possible, are requested from libraries that either share their holdings at no charge or participate in interlibrary cooperation projects.
If it is not possible to obtain ILL or DD items for free, it is the user who will have to pay the lending library or the documents’ supplier for them. Our library will contact the user before processing the request to know if he or she is willing to pay. Users will have to pay lending library’s service costs even though they, duly notified, haven’t consulted the requested material.
Sanctions and penalties
Users should come to the library to pick up ILL and DD materials as soon as they are notified. Otherwise, after 15 days from their home library’s notification, they will be suspended for 60 days from ILL services (if they asked for a book) or 30 days from DD ones (if they asked for an article).
Returning an ILL loan more than 7 days after its due date may result in the user’s suspension from all library services. The suspension period will increase up to three times the delay period.
Users have to pay lending libraries their ILL and DD costs, if applied. Otherwise, they will be suspended from all library services till the charges are paid.
Interlibrary services for other libraries
Who can ask for ILL and DD services – Other Libraries
Italian, foreign, public, and academic libraries, together with those belonging to cultural or private institutions can ask for items owned by Insubria University libraries.
Insubria University libraries lend their materials in compliance with Italian Copyright Law and free of charge to those libraries which share their holdings providing free ILL and DD services.
Otherwise, a payment may be asked to cover service costs.