ORLANDI VIVIANA TERESA
My major research interest is focused in microbiological studies on Pseudomonas aeruginosa, considered as opportunistic pathogen to be eradicated or as potential tool in bioremediation and white biotechnology.
I applied different antibacterial approaches (synthetic and natural disinfectants, photodynamic antibacterial therapy) to control P. aeruginosa grown both as planktonic culture and adherent community (biofilms). I investigated the bactericidal effect of common disinfectant against bacterial strains isolated from patients with persistent skin infections and the antimicrobial activities of extracts from African plants often used in traditional medicine. In the last years I focused my studies on the antimicrobial photodynamic therapy (aPDT), an approach which combines the use of a drug (photosensitizing agent) with visible light to kill pathogens. In order to investigate the mechanism of response to photo-oxidative and oxidative stresses a panel of mutant strains isogenic of the model microorganism P. aeruginosa PAO1 were obtained. Among these, few clones were mutated in the three Quorum Sensing (QS) systems rhl, las and pqs.
I applied biochemical and molecular techniques such as ROFE (Rotating Field gel Electrophoresis) and Eric-PCR (enterobacterial repetitive intergenic consensus) to identify and subtype clinical isolates of Pseudomonas aeruginosa producers of an extended spectrum of beta-lattamases.
I applied molecular approaches (“DNA shuffling” and “chimeric proteins design”) to modify a multienzimatic monooxygenase complex (from Pseudomonas stutzeri) to obtain variants different and/or better than original enzymes.
When I studied pathogenic mechanisms related to HIV infection I got skill in eukaryotic cell cultures either primary either immortalized ones; in cell vitality evaluation, in immunoenzimatic approach (ELISA), in molecular biology techniques (prokaryotic and eukaryotic DNA extraction, PCR and RT-PCR, bacterial cloning and transient eukaryotic cells transformation) and in fluorescence and optical microscopy.
- Caruso E, Malacarne MC, Banfi S, Gariboldi MB, Orlandi VT. Cationic diarylporphyrins: In vitro versatile anticancer and antibacterial photosensitizers. J Photochem Photobiol B. 2019; 197:
- Bolognese F, Scanferla C, Caruso E, Orlandi VT. Bacterial melanin production by heterologous expression of 4‑hydroxyphenylpyruvate dioxygenase from Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Int J Biol Macromol. 2019;133:1072-1080.
- Baj A, Moro E, Bistoletti M, Orlandi V, Crema F, Giaroni C. Glutamatergic Signaling Along The Microbiota-Gut-Brain Axis. Int J Mol Sci. 2019;20(6).
- Armenia I, Marcone GL, Berini F, Orlandi VT, Pirrone C, Martegani E, Gornati R, Bernardini G, Marinelli F. Magnetic Nanoconjugated Teicoplanin: A Novel Tool for Bacterial Infection Site Targeting. Front Microbiol. 2018 ;9:2270.
- Baranzini N, Monti L, Vanotti M, Orlandi VT, Bolognese F, Scaldaferri D, Girardello R, Tettamanti G, de Eguileor M, Vizioli J, Taramelli R, Acquati F, Grimaldi A. AIF-1 and RNASET2 Play Complementary Roles in the Innate Immune Response of Medicinal Leech. J Innate Immun. 2019;11(2):150-167.
- Orlandi VT, Bolognese F, Rolando B, Guglielmo S, Lazzarato L, Fruttero R. Anti-Pseudomonas activity of 3-nitro-4-phenylfuroxan. Microbiology. 2018 164(12):1557-1566.
- Orlandi VT, Martegani E, Bolognese F. Catalase A is involved in the response to photooxidative stress in Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Photodiagnosis Photodyn Ther. 2018, 22:233-240.
- Caruso E, Ferrara S, Ferruti P, Manfredi A, Ranucci E, Orlandi VT. Enhanced photoinduced antibacterial activity of a BODIPY photosensitizer in the presence of polyamidoamines. Lasers Med Sci. 2018, 33(6):1401-1407.
- Orlandi VT, Bolognese F, Martegani E, Cantaluppi V, Medana C, Barbieri P. Response to photo-oxidative stress of Pseudomonas aeruginosa PAO1 mutants,impaired in different functions. Microbiology. 2017;163(11):1557-1567.
- Bolognese F, Bistoletti M, Barbieri P, Orlandi VT. Honey-sensitive Pseudomonas aeruginosa mutants are impaired in catalase A. Microbiology. 2016;162(9):1554-1562.
- Ferroni C, Sotgiu G, Sagnella A, Varchi G, Guerrini A, Giuri D, Polo E, Orlandi VT, Marras E, Gariboldi M, Monti E, Aluigi A. Wool Keratin 3D Scaffolds with Light-Triggered Antimicrobial Activity. Biomacromolecules. 2016;17(9):2882-90.
- Orlandi VT, Bolognese F, Chiodaroli L, Tolker-Nielsen T, Barbieri P. Pigments influence the tolerance of Pseudomonas aeruginosa PAO1 to photodynamically induced oxidative stress. Microbiology. 2015 Dec;161(12):2298-309.
- Aluigi A, Sotgiu G, Torreggiani A, Guerrini A, Orlandi VT, Corticelli F, Varchi G. Methylene Blue Doped Films of Wool Keratin with Antimicrobial Photodynamic Activity. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces. 2015;7(31):17416-24.
- Orlandi VT, Rybtke M, Caruso E, Banfi S, Tolker-Nielsen T, Barbieri P. Antimicrobial and anti-biofilm effect of a novel BODIPY photosensitizer against Pseudomonas aeruginosa PAO1. Biofouling. 2014;30(8):883-91.
- Orlandi VT, Caruso E, Tettamanti G, Banfi S, Barbieri P. Photoinduced antibacterial activity of two dicationic 5,15-diarylporphyrins. J Photochem Photobiol B. 2013;127:123-32
- Orlandi VT, Caruso E, Banfi S, Barbieri P. Effect of organic matter on the in vitro photoeradication of Pseudomonas aeruginosa by means of a cationic tetraaryl-porphyrin. Photochem Photobiol. 2012;88(3):557-64.