- December 2018 – present Associate Professor in Inorganic Chemistry at Università degli Studi dell’Insubria – Dipartimento di Biotecnologie e Scienze della Vita
- November 2017 – November 2018 Lecturer in Inorganic Chemistry at Università degli Studi dell’Insubria – Dipartimento di Biotecnologie e Scienze della Vita
- January 2002 – October 2017 Lecturer in Inorganic Chemistry at Università degli Studi di Salerno – Dipartimento di Chimica e Biologia “A. Zambelli”
- June 2007 – September 2007 Visiting Scientist at Cardiff University – School of Chemistry (Soft Matter Research Group) and Centre of Polymer Therapeutics - sponsored by the EPSRC Platform Grant titled “Synthesis and Characterisation of Novel Polymer Therapeutics as Nanomedicines”. The Platform involved scientists from Cardiff University, University of Bath, Oxford University, London King’s College, Bristol University. L. Izzo was member of the Platform in the period 2007-2010.
- January 2004 – January 2005 Visiting Scientist at Centre of Polymer Therapeutics (Head of the Centre: Prof Ruth Duncan) – Cardiff University (UK) sponsored by BBSRC. During this period L. Izzo has carried out synthesis and characterisation of dendrimers to be used in drug delivery.
- November 2000 – Dicember 2001 Post-doctoral position sponsored by EU at Università degli Studi di Salerno – Dipartimento di Chimica. During this period L. Izzo has carried out the synthesis of meso-metallocene compounds and studied their application in homogeneous catalysis.
- November 1997 – October 2000 Ph.D. in Chemistry – Università degli Studi di Salerno – Dipartimento di Chimica. “Studies on zirconocenes based catalysts with different symmetry in the copolymeryzation of styrene with olefins and in the homopolymerization of ethylene”
- June 1997 - October 1997 Post-graduated research work for ENICHEM S.p.A. (short term contract). New catalytic systems, involved in the polymerization of styrene, were synthesised and studied.
- Academic Year 1995-1996 Master Degree in Chemistry - Università degli Studi di Salerno – Dipartimento di Chimica. Graduated with 110/110. Experimental thesis on “Kinetic studies on ethylene-styrene copolymerization in presence of homogeneous Ziegler-Natta catalysts”.
Main research topics:
- Mechanistic study of polymerization reactions and study on the relationship between property and structure. Mechanistic studies of polymerization reactions, such as homogeneous Ziegler-Natta catalysis, ATRP, ARGET-ATRP and ROP aimed to obtain multi-functional polymers with controlled microstructure.
-Nanoscructured polymeric materials. Rational design of nanostructured polymeric systems to obtain supramolecular, stimuli-responsive systems for precise and controlled delivery, and development of biocompatible materials with inherently antimicrobial activity.
- Theoretical study on simulation of polymeric chains. Simulation of polymeric chain to study the relationship between microstructure and catalytic behavior in order to propose new catalytic systems for controlling microstructure of polymers and copolymers.