Daniela Montemerlo is Full Professor of Business Administration at Insubria University, Varese, where she teaches Management and Family Business and she chairs the Commission for Teaching Affairs (composed by professors and students at 50%-50%).
Her research activities, both national and international, focus on family business, corporate governance and female leadership. In the family business area, her main interest topics concern family and corporate governance, family and ownership agreements, next gen’s development, intra and inter-generational dynamics, co-leadership models, strategic management, organizational change, managerialization processes.
In the corporate governance area her topics are: governance design (ownership agreements, structures, functioning rules); selection, role and special challenges of various types of board members and top managers; special challenges of diversity.
She is author and co-author of many books and articles. Books include: Continuità generazionale e accordi familiari, EGEA 2009; The Family Constitution. Agreements to Secure and Perpetuate Your Family and Your Business, Palgrave MacMillan 2011, with John Ward; Fratelli e sorelle in azienda, EGEA 2013. Articles have been published in journals like Journal of Small Business Management (Governance systems in family SMEs: the substitution effect of family councils on official mechanisms, 2013, with L. Gnan and M. Huse), Family Business Review (Ownership, governance and management issues in small and medium-size family businesses: a comparison of Italy and US, 1999, with G. Corbetta), Economia & Management (family business articles).
She is Senior Faculty Member at SDA Bocconi School of Management and Professor of Strategic Management in Family Businesses and Research Associate of the AIdAF – EY Chair at Bocconi University.
She is Fellow of the International Family Enterprise Research Academy (IFERA, world association of family business scholars), member of the Scientific Committee of the Italian Institute for Corporate Values (ISVI) as well as of the Extended Editorial Board of the journal “Economia & Management”.
She is also a member of the Family Firm Institute (FFI, world association of family business service providers), of NedCommunity (Italian association of non-executive and independent directors), of PWA (Professional Women’s Association) and she is included in the Ready for Board Women’s List by PWA and SDA Bocconi.
She earned a High School Degree, State Scientific High School "Albert Einstein", Milano. Grade: 60/60; a University Degree in Business Administration, Bocconi University, Milano. Grade: 110/110 cum laude and graduation thesis’ publication recommended; a PhD in Business Administration, with a dissertation on corporate governance theories.
1. Fratelli e sorelle in azienda (Brothers and sisters in business). Come fare della relazione più lunga della vita un punto di forza dell’impresa e della famiglia proprietaria, EGEA 2013 (foreword by V. Coda)
2. Continuità generazionale e accordi familiari (Generational continuity and family agreements). Principi e regole per l’impresa, la proprietà e la famiglia, EGEA, 2009 (foreword by J. L. Ward)
3. Le PMI familiari tra tradizione e novità (Family SMEs between tradition and innovation), EGEA, 2008, with L. Gnan
4. The Family Constitution. Agreements to Secure and Perpetuate your Family and your Business, Family Enterprise Publishers, 2005, with J.L. Ward
5. Il governo delle imprese familiari (Family business governance). Modelli e strumenti per gestire i rapporti tra proprietà e impresa, EGEA, 2000
Articles and book chapters
1. I pilastri del buon governo, in V. Coda e M. Minoja (editors), Bene comune e comportamenti responsabili nelle imprese e nelle istituzioni, EGEA, 2016
2. Governance systems in family SMEs: the substitution effect of family councils on official mechanisms, Journal of Small Business Management, with L. Gnan e M. Huse, 2013
3. The Determinants of Women’s Involvement in Top Management Teams. Opportunities or Obstacles from Family-Controlled Firms?, in P. Poutziouris, K. Smyrnios, S. Klein (editors), Handbook of Research on Family Business. 2nd Edition, Elgar, with A. Minichilli e G. Corbetta, 2013
4. La diversity di genere nelle aziende familiari: una risorsa da valorizzare, Economia & Management, 6, 2009, with P. Profeta
5. La transmicion del patrimonio como responsabilidad, in M. Gallo et al, La empresa familiar multigeneracional, Astrolabio, 2009
6. Quando il futuro imprenditore è un gruppo: come progettare e gestire i vertici collegiali, in P. Preti e M. Puricelli (editors), Gestione delle PMI, Il Sole 24 Ore, 2008
7. La governance delle imprese familiari e il ruolo degli amministratori indipendenti, NedCommunity, 2006, with P. Mazzola
8. La proprietà familiare: motore per la crescita o impianto frenante?, in G. Corbetta (editor), Capaci di crescere, EGEA, 2005
9. Le medie imprese familiari verso il riassetto normativo; quale impatto sui sistemi di governance, Economia & Management, n. 5, September-October 2001, with G. Brunetti
10. I patti di famiglia: uno strumento di buon governo, Economia & Management, n. 6, November 2000, with M. Alessi
11. Strutture proprietarie, complessità gestionale e sistemi di governance nelle piccole e medie imprese, in G. Airoldi, G. Forestieri (editors), Corporate Governance. ETAS, 1998, with G. Airoldi e L. Gnan
12. Equilibrar propriedad y direcciòn en la empresa familiar ampliada, in Gallo M. A. (editor), La empresa familiar, 1999, Estudios y Ediciones IESE, with G. Corbetta
13. Ownership, governance and management issues in small and medium-size family businesses: a comparison of Italy and US, Family Business Review, vol. XII, December 1999, n. 4, with G. Corbetta
14. Quando i concorrenti si associano, Economia & Management, vol. 21, July 1991